Cultural competency and the development of a global mindset are key components of success in both the domestic and global marketplace. Thriving amongst today’s multicultural workforce means managers and employees must understand the impact of culture on communication and global business practices.
As the global business landscape becomes more diverse, and less contained by borders, communication through a multicultural lens has become an ever-important skill. This workshop aims to increase participant awareness of cross-cultural communication challenges and opportunities across a broad spectrum of cultures to assist them in their development of global business competencies.
At the end of this workshop, participants will be able to do the following:
- Have a basic understanding of cross-cultural business and communication skills
- Implement strategies and skills for communicating more effectively with differing cultures
- Understand and appreciate the challenges of conducting business in a second language
- Develop an understanding of non-verbal and verbal communication cues • Develop a strategic action plan to leverage learning
- Examine how we perceive ourselves in our own culture and how people from ‘other’ cultures perceive us
People leaders will learn to:
- Understand the benefits and challenges associated with culturally diverse teams of employees
- Recognize and leverage the differences amongst a team
- Effectively communicate with teams that work virtually or across borders
- Fosters an open and respectful attitude toward culturally-diverse employees and clientele
- Improves communication and team effectiveness through better communication and understanding
- Creates an organization-wide ‘global mindset’ that can drive both the goals of an organization, as well as the goals of participants themselves.
Delivered as a 3 to 3.5 hour instructor-led workshop for employees and people leaders.
- The workshop begins with defining culture and exploring the underlying values that affect each of us. From there, participants will examine the differences between stereotypes and generalizations, along with the importance of looking at one’s self, and compromising with others. An exercise in understanding the challenges of working through a language barrier is followed by discussions about communication styles and cultural values.
- Participants will continue in-depth discussions and breakout activities to further explore the ideas of cross-cultural interaction and how they can become more effective communicators. The workshop concludes by identifying how participants can apply cross-cultural communication in their lives – at home and at work – and the impact it can have on organizational success.